Yes, it's time to play "A year ago today". A year ago today was May 29, 2001. What was happening?
1. I was gainfully employed and 5 days away from being fired from said gainful employment.
2. I was making plans to move to Denver to be with my now ex-husband who was 6 days away from dumping me.
3. I was regularly going out to the club to do the Angry Divorcee dance (then unnamed) on my nights off.
4. I was rarely getting laid.
5. I'd picked up a cue maybe twice in my life.
6. I think that's about it aside from occasionaly hitting a twelve-step meeting and sleeping all day and oh yeah, retail therapy Fridays.
7. I had an addiction to Butterfinger candy bars.
1. Gainful employment? What's that? Every job I've had since then has pretty much paid shit and been about as enjoyable as a pap smear. Okay this sucks but at least I know I'm not currently in danger of being fired. I'd have to have a job for that.
2. I'm now seeing someone who treats me better than my ex-husband (or any other boyfriend for that matter) ever did. I enjoy his company and we never fight. Infinitely better than guilt-trip laden long-distance phone calls
3. I'm doing less and less of the Angry Divorcee dance lately but it seems to be slowly picking back up. It's still a therapeutic way to burn off the demons that plague me. Not much changed there except frequency.
4. I have sex every day. Infinitely better than masterbating to Marquis de Sade and hating myself.
5. I play pool a minimum of 6 days a week. Entered a tournament and lost but gained respect of other players that have been doing this a lot longer than me. I have my own damn cue and I love it. I have an activity in my life that I'm passsionate about. Yay!
6. I occasionally hit a twelve step meeting and I sleep all day. I can't afford retail therapy Fridays anymore. Not much changed there. I would still be having retail therapy days if I had a job probably.
7. I still have an addiction to Butterfinger bars. I am struggling to overcome this and I did for a while until a recent relapse as the Butterfinger wrappers in the trash, on the floor and sitting in front of the computer can attest.
Is life better now? I think so. The work situation sucks ass but I wouldn't want to go back a year ago. Last summer was the emotional roller coaster from hell. I lost a job, a husband, and custody of a kid. And to think I only thought about shooting up drano once. Whew. Geez. In comparison all I have to think about now is getting a new fucking job and exercising more so I can support my Butterfinger habit.
I've come a long way baby.